This is our celebratory Breakfast Casserole recipe. My family uses this recipe for holiday, birthday, and sleepover breakfasts. I actually acquired this recipe from my husband. It was our first Christmas together that he decided to cook the family breakfast while we were opening presents. He made quite the impression with this casserole. We have continued to make this dish every Christmas morning as well as birthdays and other special events.
When I was taking photos of this casserole for this blog post we were finishing up my daughter’s 12th birthday slumber party. Her girlfriends specifically requested this casserole for breakfast the morning after their sleepover. As you may notice, I did not have chance to get photographs of the finished casserole before the girls ate half it! I have no pictures of a fully cooked Sausage, Egg, and Cheese breakfast casserole. I guess that gives you guys an idea to how delicious this recipe is!
Another reason why I enjoy this recipe so much (besides is being scrumptious) is because it is extremely easy! First things first, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray nonstick spray in a 13×9 casserole dish. Pop open your crescent roll dough and roll the dough out on the bottom of the casserole dish.
Next you want to start cooking your breakfast sausage in a medium sized skillet. Cook on medium heat, and crumble the sausage until it is fully cooked. Once all pieces of the sausage are brown drain the grease from your skillet. I take an extra step in removing at much grease as possible from the sausage. I cover a plate with a few layers of paper towels, after I have drained the grease, I dump the sausage crumble on the plate with the paper towels and let the paper towels absorb the excess grease. Then spread the sausage crumbles over the the crescent roll dough.
In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together 8 eggs, and 1 cup of milk until yolks are all broken up and well blended with the milk. Add in 1 cup of cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined. Pour egg mixture over crescent roll dough and cooked sausage. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.
Once you pull this casserole out of the oven keep an eye on it, because half will go missing before you know it!
From Our Table to Yours,
- 1 can Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups of cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Open can of crescent rolls. Lay crescent rolls flat in 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Cook breakfast sausage in skillet on medium heat until brown in color. Crumble breakfast sausage while cooking. Drain grease from sausage.
- Spread cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage over crescent roll layer in baking dish.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper,and 1 cup of cheese in medium size mixing bowl and blend well.
- Pour egg mixture over crumbled sausage and crescent roll layer.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of egg mixture.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.